Diabetes is a long-lasting (chronic) health condition, that occurs when blood sugar is too high. It is a life-altering disease, as it changes eating habits and exercises routine.
Diabetes management apps are many, and they come as web-based services, standalone mobile apps, and desktop apps. However, most of them are not free, open-source, or respect patient privacy much. Therefore, we write this article.
Diabetes management and assistant apps are classified under a PHR “Personal Health Records” apps, where the patient logs and keeps all of his private records for future analysis and use.
In this article, we will introduce you to 3 free, privacy-aware, open-source diabetes management app, that you can use totally for free without annoying advertisements or fear of data collection.
Best free-of-cost, advertising-free diabetes management apps for Android
Glucosio is a free, open-source diabetes management app for patients. It helps the patient record, and track their blood glucose, HB1AC, Cholesterol, blood pressure, ketones, body weight, and more.
- Quick and easy logging (blood glucose, HB1AC, Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Ketones, Body Weight, etc.)
- Designed for both type 1 & type 2 diabetes
- Estimated HbA1c & HbA1c conversion calculator
- Choose Glucose Target (ADA, NICE, AACE, Custom)
- Daily, weekly and monthly graphs and analysis
- Assistant gives tips and more
- Backup to Google Drive and export data to CSV
- Import from CSV
- Free support (average response time under 24 hours!)
- Accessibility features
- Opt-in to support diabetes research anonymously through the app
- Support for Android 7.1 shortcuts
2- Diaguard: Diabetes Diary
Diaguard is a free, ad-free open-source diabetes management app for patients with diabetes mellitus.
It is a simple diary that helps the user log all important events and evaluate them with his doctor later on.
- Quickly and easily track your blood glucose, insulin, carbohydrates, A1c, activity, weight, pulse, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation
- Clean and easy-to-use interface
- Meal monitor and calculator
- Customizable units
- Exercise and activity tracker
- Visualize your blood glucose level in a graph
- Detailed logs of your data
- Food database with thousands of entries
- PDF and CSV export
- Built-in backup options
- Reminder functionality
- Estimated HbA1c
- Supports Dark Mode
Diab is a free, privacy-aware, diabetes management apps, that aims to help you keep track of glucose levels, and insulin injections.
The app (Diab) is free and open-source software released under GNU General Public License v3.0.
- Simple material-based interface
- Record and track activities: meal, exercises, and more
- Save records of glucose and insulin dosages
- Export data as a spreadsheet file
- Insulin suggestions plugin
Get these Diabetes assistant apps
You can download the app directly as APK for your android device, however, we recommend using the F-Droid store to download it to be able to receive notifications and secure updates.
Diabetes is a life-altering health condition, but that does not mean you are locked with commercial, privacy-invasive, and ads-populated apps. Try out these free, open-source apps, that do not collect your data or invade your privacy, and they are free of cost and free of ads.
If you know of any other open-source diabetes assistant apps, let us know in the comments blew.