The time tracker app is a tool designed to help users track and manage their time more effectively. It allows users to record the time spent on various activities, such as work tasks, projects, or personal activities.
Advantages of using a time tracker app include:
- Improved productivity: By tracking your time, you gain visibility into how you spend your day. This awareness can help you identify time-wasting activities and make adjustments to improve your productivity.
- Accurate time tracking: The app provides a convenient and accurate way to record the time spent on different tasks. This can be especially useful for billing clients or tracking billable hours for project management purposes.
- Insightful data analysis: The app generates reports and visualizations based on your time tracking data. This allows you to analyze patterns, identify trends, and gain insights into your work habits. With this information, you can make data-driven decisions to optimize your time management.
- Enhanced focus and time management: With the app's features like reminders and timers, you can stay focused on your tasks and manage your time more effectively. The app helps you stay accountable and ensures that you allocate the right amount of time to each activity.
- Improved work-life balance: By tracking your time, you can gain a better understanding of how you allocate your time between work and personal activities. This insight can help you achieve a healthier work-life balance and prevent burnout.
Overall, the time tracker app provides a valuable tool for individuals and teams to track, analyze, and optimize their time usage, leading to improved productivity, better time management, and enhanced work-life balance.
Here, you will find the best open-source and free time tracker apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
ActivityWatch is an open-source time tracker that helps you monitor and analyze your computer usage. It automatically records the time you spend on different applications, websites, and documents, providing you with valuable insights into how you use your time.
With ActivityWatch, you can:
- Track the time you spend on specific applications, websites, or documents
- Analyze your computer usage patterns and identify areas for improvement
- Set goals and track your progress towards better time management
- Generate reports and visualizations to understand your productivity and focus
- Gain awareness of your digital habits and make informed decisions to optimize your workflow
Overall, ActivityWatch is a powerful tool for tracking and managing your computer usage, allowing you to make more conscious choices about how you spend your time.
ActivityWatch is released under the MPL-2.0 License.
Super Productivity is a cutting-edge todo list app that boasts integrated Timeboxing and time tracking capabilities. Moreover, it offers seamless integrations for Jira, GitLab, GitHub, and Open Project.
- Keep organized and focused! Plan and categorize your tasks using sub-tasks, projects and tags and color code them as needed.
- Use timeboxing and track your time. Create time sheets and work summaries in a breeze to easily export them to your company's time tracking system.
- Helps you to establish healthy & productive habits:
- A break reminder reminds you when it's time to step away.
- The anti-procrastination feature helps you gain perspective when you really need to.
- Need some extra focus? A Pomodoro timer is also always at hand.
- Collect personal metrics to see, which of your work routines need adjustments.
- Integrate with Jira, GitHub, GitLab, Gitea and OpenProject. Auto import tasks assigned to you, plan the details locally, automatically create work logs, and get notified immediately, when something changes.
- Attach context information to tasks and projects. Create notes, attach files or create project-level bookmarks for links, files, and even commands.
- Super Productivity respects your privacy and does NOT collect any data and there are no user accounts or registration. You decide where you store your data!
- It's free and open source and always will be.
Kimai is a web-based and self-hosted professional time-tracking application with advanced features such as JSON API, invoicing, data exports, multi-timer, tagging, multi-language support, authentication options, customizable permissions, responsive design, advanced search, budgets, reporting, and plugin support.
4- Toggl Deskop
Toggl Desktop is a Toggl time tracking client that offers a wide range of helpful functions to enhance the experience of tracking time. With its user-friendly interface and intuitive design, this app makes time tracking effortless and smooth. One of its notable features is Idle detection, which automatically pauses the timer when you are not actively working, ensuring accurate tracking.
Additionally, the reminders to track feature sends timely alerts to remind you to start tracking your time, helping you stay focused and organized. Another valuable feature is the Pomodoro Timer, which allows you to structure your work sessions and breaks effectively, boosting productivity and efficiency. All in all, Toggl Desktop is an indispensable tool for anyone looking to optimize their time management and achieve their goals.
Wakapi is an open-source minimalist, self-hosted WakaTime-compatible backend for coding statistics.
- Free and open-source
- Built by developers for developers
- Statistics for projects, languages, editors, hosts and operating systems
- Weekly E-Mail reports
- REST API
- Partially compatible with WakaTime
- WakaTime integration
- Support for Prometheus exports
- Lightning fast
timetrace is a free and open-source simple CLI for tracking your working time.
7- Bartib (CLI)
Bartib is an easy-to-use time tracking tool for the command line. It saves a log of all tracked activities as a plaintext file and allows you to create flexible reports.
8- klog (CLI 0 Golang)
klog is a plain-text file format and a command line tool for time tracking.
Zeit, erfassen. A command line tool for tracking time spent on activities.
A simple CLI to manage your time entries and projects on Clockify from terminal.
- List time entries from a day
- List in progress entry
- Report time entries using a date range
- Inform date range as parameters
- "auto filter" for last month
- "auto filter" for this month
- Start a new time entry
- Cloning last time entry
- Ask input interactively
- Stop the last entry
- List workspace projects
- List Clockify Workspaces
- List Clockify Workspaces Users
- List Clockify Tags
- Edit time entry
- Configuration management
- Initialize configuration
- Update individual configuration
- Show current configuration
TrackLater helps you track time after-the-fact by combining clues and showing your day on a simple timeline view.
TrackLater offers a basic set of features to help all time-trackers get their timesheets in order:
- A timeline overview, which is usually missing from tracking software
- Easily add time entries, with automatically detected projects and responsive UI
- Get all your breadcrumbs, tracks, clues, footsteps in one place
Ultimate Time Tracker (utt) is a simple command-line time tracking application written in Python.
13- Baralga Time Tracker
Simple and lightweight time tracking for individuals and teams.
- plain time tracking no fuzz
- switch projects with tray icon
- record your activities
- report as Excel, CSV and iCalendar
- manually add and edit activities
- enter data fast with shortcuts
- suitable for single users and teams
- Simple time tracking server designed to work with Mattermost / Slack.
Chrono is a time tracking tool written in Go. It is fast and simple to use.
16- Latte - Automatic Time Tracker for Linux
This is an open-source (MIT licensed) Automatic time tracker for Linux desktops.
This is an open-source self-osted A minimal task-based time tracker.
PhpReport is a web application for time tracking, which provides useful statistics about users, projects, and more.
The application is focused on companies or any situation where multiple people collaborate on projects. PhpReport allows managers to see project-level statistics such as cost and deviation, as well as user-level statistics like number of days worked and unused vacation days.
Finally, PhpReport can communicate with external applications, like ERPs or desktop tools for personal time-tracking, by means of plugin development or through the exposed web services.
19- time-tracker (Gnome Linux)
GNOME Shell extension for time tracking.
Timer is a simple time tracking tool. Create a task, click "Start"/"Stop", see how much the task took, repeat.
All the data is kept in the
localStorage, it does not leave your device, ever. To manage the data, use "Export" (to JSON) and "Import" features. A test data set can be found here.
21- Achiver - A pomodoro timer and tracker (Android)
This is a minimal pomodoro style timer and time tracker made with flutter. Only tested on android for now.
22- TimesApp (Android)
TimesApp helps you in managing the time you spend on your phone by setting time limits on applications.
- Helps in Time Management
- Simple and Minimal UI inspired by Material Design
- Elegant in-app tutorials to help you get started
- Preferences for default time limit duration etc
- Small App Size: Less than 2MB
- No Ads: Absolutely Free to Use
- Open Source: You can help it grow
The timeTracker is an open-source desktop app, built with Electron, Webpack, React, Sass, and pouchdb, offer features such as adding or selecting customers and projects, starting and stopping time records, editing records, viewing an overview of all records, exporting to a CSV file, selecting language and date/time format.
24- 🍅Notomato Task Timer
A Pomodoro task management application built with Ionic framework using Dexie.js to persist tasks/notes in IndexedDB.
- Add task with details of what was accomplished/completed during the Pomodoro session
- Edit existing tasks
- Submit tasks to save them to a sortable and filterable table
- Export tasks in several formats (e.g. CSV, Excel...)
This app is an open-source text-based timesheet parser application designed for contractors to track their hours in a programmer-friendly format. The application uses a computer-parseable text file format, with one file per contract, making it simple and efficient to use.
The Muino Time Management/ accounting tool for keeping track of your hours on projects and tasks.
27- Time Tracking
Time-Tracking is a simple command line tool for project timer management.
This is a simple time tracking python script with wordy message output to track my work time. It doesn't do much, but it sure is better than paper.
The ultimate assistant free app for people with ADHD. Keeps track of what you should be doing and sends effective reminders (including zaps) if you're off task.
Simple, cross-platform and reactive time and task management app created by @Codeaia in 2016-2017.
32- Trakker app
Trakker is a simple time tracking menubar app that works with Toggl. Made with Electron, React, Webpack, Babel, Figma and toggl api.
GTimer is a GTK application for timing how you spend your time among various projects and tasks with support for generating plain text and HTML reports.
Eyeful is A universal time tracking application with some neat features.
35- Lasius open-source time tracking
Lasius is an open source time tracking solution that includes a comprehensive set of features, with a particular focus on team collaboration.
- Start-Stop tracking: Record time spent on a task in real-time
- Labels & Tags: Assign labels to each booking and edit labels on project level
- Favorites: Save your most used bookings as favorites and start booking with one click
- Progressive Web App: Use Lasius on your mobile device as a PWA and add it to your homescreen
- Dark-mode: Switch between light and dark mode
- Statistics & Reports: See your organisation, project or personal statistics for a given time period
- Export: Export organisation, project or personal bookings using various filters as CSV for a given time period
- ACL: Assign roles to users in a project or organisation to allow or restrict access to certain features
- Organisations: Be a member of multiple organisations and invite users with an invitation link, switch between them anytime and see only organisation specific data
- Projects: Create projects, assign them to organisations and invite users with an invitation link
- Team View: See what everybody is currently working on and book on the same task with one click
36- TimeSlate Application Time Tracker
TimeSlate is an open-source Electron JS desktop application which keeps track of usage time of different applications (active ones) running on computer and displays it along with an analysis report.
37- Doug (CLI)
A time tracking command-line utility.