Diabetes is a life-altering disease and its management is not easy. It required a life-changing routines and personal discipline.
While there are countless diabetes management application, almost all of them comes with a cost, either they are paid, they do not respect users privacy, or they come populated with ads.
That is not the case with our choice of the day: Diaguard, it is a free of cost, completely ad-free, tracker-free diabetes management application for Android phones and tablets.
Diaguard originally started by Philipp Fahlteich who is a software developer from Germany. Philipp identify himself as:
Developer by heart, Diabetic by selection
Which explains the amount of effort he puts in his app.
Furthermore, Diaguard is open-source, which means it can be examined by developer's community for bugs, security issues and malicious scripts.
It is basically a diary app that helps diabetes patients keep a useful log about their activities, symptoms, blood glucose, insulin, carbohydrates intake and more.
And that's not all, it also allows user to share their data in PDF or CSV format that can be opened with many apps, then share them with their doctors.
- Quickly and easily track your blood glucose, insulin, carbohydrates, A1c, activity, weight, pulse, blood pressure and oxygen saturation
- Customizable units
- Visualize your blood glucose level in a graph
- Detailed logs of your data
- Food database with thousands of entries
- Completely Ad-free and tracker-free app
- It does not share any data with third-party service
- PDF and CSV export, so it can be easily shared with doctors and medical professionals
- Backup logs and entries easily
- Reminder functionality
- Estimated HbA1c
- Supports multiple languages
- Dark Mode
Why it exists?
Diaguard exists for three reasons: for learning, for fun and for saying thank you. This app kickstarted the career of a professional software developer by leading through the whole software lifecycle: creating a concept, building software from scratch, publishing it to the masses and maintaining a legacy project with additions sprinkled here and there.
Additionally, it was and is pure fun to enhance this app and to see feedback from a helpful and thankful community. Last but not least Diaguard is a way of giving something back.
The app is written in Java then migrated to Kotlin, it uses SQLite as the primary local database.
- Download Diaguard from F-Droid application store
- Download Diaguard from Google Play Store.
The project is released under the open-source GPL-3.0 License or later.