elFinder is an incredibly useful open-source file manager that can greatly simplify your web browsing experience. By allowing you to navigate through your files with ease, elFinder eliminates the need to constantly switch back and forth between different windows and tabs. With its intuitive interface and powerful features, elFinder is the perfect tool for anyone who wants to streamline their web browsing workflow.
But what inspired the creation of elFinder in the first place? Well, it was actually the simplicity and convenience of the Finder program used in the macOS operating system. By taking the best elements of this popular program and adapting them for the web, the developers of elFinder have created a tool that is both familiar and innovative.
So if you're tired of struggling with clunky and outdated file managers, give elFinder a try! With its sleek design and powerful functionality, it's sure to become your go-to file management tool in no time.
- Usability like the MacOS Finder or Windows Explorer
- Mobile friendly view for touch devices
- All operations with files and folders on a remote server (copy, move, upload, create folder/file, rename, etc.)
- High performance server backend and light client UI
- Multi-root support
- Local file system, MySQL, FTP, SFTP, Box, Dropbox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive volume storage drivers
- Support AWS S3, Azure, Digital Ocean Spaces and more with League\Flysystem Flysystem driver
- Cloud storage (Box, Dropbox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive) drivers
- Background file/folder upload with Drag & Drop HTML5 support
- Chunked file upload for large file
- Upload directly to the folder
- Upload form URL (or list)
- List and Icons view
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Standard methods of file/group selection using mouse or keyboard
- Move/Copy files with Drag & Drop
- Drag & Drop to outside by starting drag with alt/option key press
- Archives create/extract (zip, rar, 7z, tar, gzip, bzip2)
- Rich context menu and toolbar
- Quicklook, preview for common file types
- Edit text files and images
- "Places" for your favorites
- Calculate directory sizes
- Thumbnails for image, movie files
- Easy to integrate with web editors (elRTE, CKEditor, TinyMCE)
- Flexible configuration of access rights, upload file types, user interface and other
- Extensibility by event handling of backend and client side
- Simple client-server API based on JSON
- Supports custom information in info dialog
- Configuable columns of list view
- Supports custom CSS class function for the custom folder icon
- AutoRotate : Auto rotation on file upload of JPEG file by EXIF Orientation.
- AutoResize : Auto resize on file upload.
- Normalizer : UTF-8 Normalizer of file-name and file-path etc.
- Sanitizer : Sanitizer of file-name and file-path etc.
- Watermark : Print watermark on file upload.
Tech and Requirements
jQuery / jQuery UI
- jQuery 1.8.0+
- jQuery UI 1.9.0+
- Required: draggable, droppable, resizable, selectable, button and slider
- Recommend: sorter (To make sortable the List column and the Places)
However, we recommend newest version.
- Modern browsers both of desktop or mobile. elFinder was tested in newest Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE and Opera
- Caution: Web App mode ("apple-mobile-web-app-capable" meta tag) on iOS is not work perfectly in elFinder
- Any web server
- PHP 5.2+ (Recommend PHP 5.4 or higher) And for thumbnails - GD / Imagick module / convert(imagemagick) require
- Recommend PHP 7.1 or higher to supports non-ASCII character of file path/name on the Windows server
3rd Party Connectors
3rd Party Integration
- Tiki Wiki
- XOOPSCube GUI-based control panel: FTP, cloud storage and editors
- elFinder is issued under a 3-clauses BSD license.