When it comes to managing persona finances, there are many options that come to mind, however, most of them are designed to work on cloud or as desktop apps.
Well, that's not the case with FireFly III as it designed as a web-based system that work well for multiple family members without a hustle.
FireFly III is a free open-source software that helps users to manage their personal finances, cashflow, credit cards, expanses and more.
Unlike other personal finance management software which are mostly desktop apps, FireFly III is a self-hosted web-based cloud system, Which means users can install it on their personal cloud/ web-server.
One of the best advantages of using self-hosted is that its accessibility from different locations, machines and through modern web browsers.
- Full-data control
- Low server requirements
- Developer-friendly REST-API
- Multiple account support
- Responsive design
- Supports all modern browsers (Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla FireFox)
- Double-entry bookkeeping system
- Role-based transaction system
- Piggy bank management
- Liabilities tracking
- Full budgets control
- Saving accounts management
- income and outcome exports
- Multiple currency support
- Simple view and clear layout
- Easy-access navigation
- Charts and diagrams
- Docker installation support
- Rich and clear documentation
- Multiple-server/ hosting installation support
- Automated recurring transactions' management support
- Credit cards support
- Shared accounts
- Predict and anticipate bills
- Liabilities (loans, mortgages)
- 2 factors authentication for extra security
However, server solutions are not easy to install for normal computer users, as it require fair knowledge of system and server administration.
Multiple setup options
FireFly III provides a detailed documentation of setup on different hosting platforms and technologies which include:
- Bare-bone server
- Softaculous installation system
- AMPPS server package
- Lando server
FireFly III is released under AGPL-3.0 license.