What is Foliate?
Foliate is an outstanding open-source eBook reader for Linux systems. It is the brain child of John Factotum, an open-source developer and enthusiast.
It is available in the repo for all popular Linux distros, and it is proven to be unbeatable among its compatible, not just because of its rich features-set, but also because it is a lightweight app, its ease of use.
- EPUB (.epub, .epub3)
- Kindle (.azw, .azw3) and Mobipocket (.mobi)
- FictionBook (.fb2, .fb2.zip)
- Comic book archive (.cbr, .cbz, .cbt, .cb7)
- Plain text (.txt)
- Supports EPUB, Mobipocket, Kindle, FictionBook, and comic book archive formats
- Single-column, two-column, or continuous scrolling layouts
- Adjust font, line-spacing, and margins
- Customize colors and brightness
- Skeuomorphic mode
- Auto-hide cursor and window controls
- Supports right-to-left and vertical text
- Table of contents menu or sidebar
- Find in book
- Progress slider, with chapter marks
- Reading time estimates
- Zoom in on and rotate images
- Open footnotes in popovers
- Trackpad gestures—use two-finger swipe to turn the page
- Open multiple books at the same time, or open the same file in multiple windows
- Reading progress, bookmarks, and annotations stored in your XDG data directory as plain JSON files, so you can backup or sync them easily
- Search annotations
- Export annotations to plain text, HTML, Markdown, and more
- Look up words in Wiktionary, Wikipedia, or offline DICT and StarDict dictionaries
- Translate passages with Google Translate
- Text-to-speech with eSpeak NG, Festival, or other engines
- Get books online from OPDS feeds
Platforms and operating systems
Foliate is available for Linux: Ubuntu, Debian, Arch Linux, Fedora, Manjaro, openSUSE, Void Linux, and Parabola Linux.
Likewise, It is available for Unix "BSD" systems such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and DragonFly BSD.
If you are like to use Flatpak or Snap packages, You can also download Foliate from the Flathub and Snap store.
Foliate is released under GPL-3.0.