What is Insomnia?
Insomnia is a free, open-source API design and test tool for individual developers and enterprises.
It has an intuitive clean user interface and comes with dozens of useful features that put many commercial alternatives to shame.
Insomnia allows developers to define environment variables like authentication credentials, tokens, or session IDs for re-use globally or within a public/private environment for a seamless development/production workflow.
- It comes with a clean self-explanatory interface which does not require a steep learning curve.
- Insomnia provides full support for REST, SOAP, GraphQL, and GRPC
- It helps developers create, organize, and share their API endpoint collections and test them with a few clicks
- It includes generated code snippets for several programming languages and tools like Curl, NodeJS, Go, Swift, Python, Java, C, and Rust.
- It has a built-in dark mode
- Seamless workflow
- Request response and delay viewers
- Custom header support
- Multiple authentication models
- Query editor
- Advanced URL collection manager
- Dozens of plugins which include Swagger plugin and custom-developed extensions
- OpenAPI standards
- Centralize and Automate Tests
- Extensive documentation
- Developers can import/ export their API collections
- It comes with a rich command-line interface: Inso CLI.
- Rich plugin's library.
The free version is open-source, and you can use it for free as it will get a free update. It has community support and includes all the primary functions to design and test APIs.
On the other hand, Insomnia offers custom and extended versions for enterprise and pro developers for building complex headless apps, for a small fee per month.
- Linux through Flathub
The free app is released under the MIT license. However, the extended enterprise editions are not.