What is Lodestone?
Lodestone is designed to be the modern and digital equivalent of a home filing cabinet. If you've gone searching for something similar in the past, you might be familiar with terms like Electronic Document Management System (EDMS), Document Management System (DMS) or Personal Archival.
- Full text document search - It doesn't matter what format you're document is in, we should be able to parse it (using OCR) and let you search for the text.
- Rich tagging - Unlike a physical file cabinet where a document can only exist in one place, digital documents support tags, allowing you to create a flexible organizational structure that works for you.
- Automated - Document collection & OCR processing should be automatic. Just saving a file to your network drive should be enough to start document processing.
- Non-destructive - When Lodestone processes a document, the original file will be left untouched, exactly where you left it.
- Web Accessible - Lodestone is designed to run on a trusted home server and be accessible 24x7.
- Filesystem/Cloud Sync - Optionally synchronize your tagged documents via a cloud storage provider of your choice (Dropbox, GDrive, etc) or access via a FUSE filesystem mount.
- Rich and responsive interface
- Easy to configure
- Supports Docker installation
- Comes with a rich Web API
- Thumbnails processor for images and videos
- It has a built-on OCR engine
- Uses Elasticsearch
- Rich search query
- Filter by file meta, size, file type, extension, and more
- Bookmark files
- Check last modified, opened and edited date
- Filter files by tags
- Sort by relevance
Install and configure Lodestone
You can easily install Lodestone by cloning the repo then run
docker-compose up in the project directory, then head to
You can configure the application either for file types, tags, or mapping here is what and why to configure.
Lodestone is released under the GPL-3.0 license.