nb is a command line and local web note-taking, bookmarking, archiving, and knowledge base application. It offers features such as plain text data storage, encryption, filtering, tagging, search, versioning, syncing, conversion, wiki-style linking, browsing, images, todos, notebooks, folders, color themes, and extensibility through plugins.
It supports various text-based formats, can import/export notes to different document formats, and allows for private, password-protected encrypted notes and bookmarks. nb works in Linux/Unix environments, including macOS and Windows via WSL, MSYS, and Cygwin.
nb uses Git in the background to automatically record changes and sync notebooks with remote repositories.
nb can also be configured to sync notebooks using a general purpose syncing utility like Dropbox so notes can be edited in other apps on any device.
Rich Bookmarking Features
nb is also a powerful bookmarking system that offers locally-served, distraction-free bookmark browsing in terminal and GUI web browsers. It also includes features such as local full-text search, filtering and listing, Wayback Machine snapshot lookup, tagging, pinning, linking, and integration with other nb features.
Bookmarks are saved as Markdown documents for easy viewing and editing.
nb is a portable, future-focused, and vendor-independent program that provides a full-featured and intuitive experience in a multimodal text interface. It can be easily installed and works well with different environments, allowing for the management of notebooks, notes, bookmarks, and other items. nb is flexible and can be used with various tools, writing apps, and workflows.
- Plain text data storage
- Filtering, pinning, tagging, and search
- Git-backed versioning and syncing
- Pandoc-backed conversion
- Wiki-style linking
- Terminal and GUI web browsing
- Inline images
- Todos with tasks
- Global and local notebooks
- Organization with folders
- Customizable color themes
- Extensibility through plugins
- Supports various text-based formats
- Import/export notes to different document formats
- Allows for private, password-protected encrypted notes and bookmarks
- Works with popular text editors and terminal/GUI web browsers
- Works in standard Linux/Unix environments, including macOS and Windows via WSL, MSYS, and Cygwin
- Optional dependencies may be required for enhanced functionality, but the tool works well without them.