What is Notable?
Notable is a free, open-source note-taking application as well as a Markdown editor that you can use without fear of a vendor lockdown.
Notable it may look a simple note editor, but it comes with a rich set of useful features, and yet to come in the near future.
- Apple Note app
- Notable comes with a full Markdown support, but you can also write in KaTeX expressions.
- Draw your diagrams and graphs with Mermaid.
- Available for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Multiple installation packages for Linux: Deb, Pacman, RPM, Snap, and AppImage
- Clutter-free user interface
- It comes with a built-in dark theme, but you can expect custom themes in the near future
- You can start or pin certain notes
- Switch easily between editing and viewing mode
- Batch note editor (Multi-Note Editor)
- Split pane viewer
- Set unlimited tags per note
- Focus mode or you may call it Zen Mode
- Full text search for notes and tags
- Share your notes easily with friends and collages
- Filter your notes by tags
- Built-in cheatsheet for quick reference.
- Built-in tutorial for learning the app while using it.
- Multiple data directories are supported, so you can separately store different notes collections.
- Attachments can be added to any note, even via copy/paste, and they are also stored on disk individually.
- Tags are indefinitely nest-able.
- Import your existing notes' library from other apps like Evernote or Boostnote apps.
- Export your notes to Markdown, HTML, or PDF.
- Fuzzy search is used when searching.
- Markdown editor which supports multi-cursors, line numbers, a minimap, scrolling beyond the last line and more.
- Linking to other notes and attachments is supported.
- Share a note simply with a link.
- To-dos can be used for task management.
- Code blocks are syntax-highlighted and can be copied with one click.
- Float on top of other apps, optionally while being translucent too.
Expected features in the near future
- Built-in synchronization, so you won't have to resort to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc.
- Built-in version control, integrated into the app and easy to use.
- Mobile apps, so you won't have to resort to third-party Markdown editors.
- Plugins, so that if we don't provide that feature you need you can probably just download a plugin for it or write one yourself.
Only older versions of the app are open-sourced, read more about this here.