Lepton: Your Open-Source Free GitHub Gist Client
If you are using GitHub Gist, then this article is for you.
GitHub Gist is a web-based code snippet library that comes along with GitHub like a little brother to GitHub repository, it is a single individual file it does not have things like issues, staring, push requests, pull requests or projects, and actions, but it does have that Git goodness of version control, comments, and ability to mark it private or public.
One of the cool things about Gist is that you can use it without an account but if you do use an account, you can find all your gits at Gist.github.com/username.
When can we use GitHub Gist?
- When you want to create a code snippet
- If you want to embed your code into a website or blog
- When you want to track data in Markdown.
- If you Keep up with a file
- Hosting single web page
- If you want to share your snippet
- Demonstrating tech neck and solution
- Saving snippet to use it later to reference
- Serving a quick web-based snippets
- Adding Gist (or snippets) of code directly to your GitHub profile
- Creating notes, which are composed of any number of files
GitHub Gist features:
- Already linked to GitHub profile
- Easy to copy code from existing projects on GitHub to your Gist repository and vice versa
- Every Gist is a Git repository
- Gist can be both public or secret
- GitHub Gist is web-based
- GitHub Gist for cross-platform sync.
- GitHub Gist allow you to store code snippets without having to create a fully-fledged repository on GitHub.
What is Lepton?
Lepton is an Open-source snippet manager powered by GitHub Gist. It is a desktop application that could access locally and syncs with the web-based GitHub Gist repo. It can be run on all major operating systems to date, namely Windows, macOS, and Linux. started in 2017 and is released under the MIT license.
Lepton allows you to create, remove, edit, organize Gist directly from your computer's desktop, without having to use a browser. It is a modern, smooth-running and useful application for Programmer, writer, team workers in many fields who wants to be more efficient.
Lepton snippet manager features:
- Unlimited public/private snippets
- Unlimited tags
- Language groups
- Markdown/JupyterNotebook support
- GitHub Enterprise support
- Immersive mode
- Light/Dark themes
- Supports macOS/Win/Linux
- Syncs with the web-based GitHub Gist repo
- Search with FullText Search support
- Supports multiple languages and file formats (including .txt and .md)
- Completely free and open-source software
- Lepton provides a formatted description section, which adds title and tags support
- An easy to use Dashboard
- Have a package in AppImage format which is distribution independent
- Supports customizable UI themes
- Desktop application
Lepton is a completely open-source project under MIT license.
Lepton is available for download on macOS, Windows, and Linux.