QR Code and Barcode scanners are mobile applications that allow users to scan and decode QR codes and barcodes using their smartphone's camera. They provide a convenient way to access information, connect to websites, and perform various actions.
QR codes are two-dimensional barcodes that can store different types of data, including text, URLs, contact information, and more. They are widely used in advertising, product packaging, and various industries to provide quick access to information or perform specific tasks.
Barcode scanners are essential tools for decoding traditional barcodes found on products. These barcodes typically contain product identification numbers that can be used for inventory management, pricing, and tracking purposes.
There are several reasons why QR and barcode scanners are useful:
- Instant information access: By scanning QR codes or barcodes, users can quickly access information about products, services, or events without the need to manually enter data.
- Efficient data collection: Scanning barcodes allows for faster and more accurate data collection, especially in retail, logistics, and inventory management.
- Contactless interactions: QR codes enable contactless interactions by eliminating the need for physical contact or exchanging printed materials. This is particularly beneficial in situations where hygiene and safety are a concern.
- Convenience and versatility: QR and barcode scanners can perform various actions such as opening websites, adding contacts to the address book, connecting to Wi-Fi networks, and more. They provide a seamless and convenient way to interact with digital content.
In summary, QR and barcode scanners are essential tools that enable users to access information, perform actions, and streamline processes by simply scanning codes with their smartphones.
In this post, we will provide you with the best privacy-focused open-source QR code scanner. You can download and use this scanner without fear of your data being shared with any third party.
1- QR Scanner (PFA)
The Privacy Friendly QR Scanner belongs to the group of Privacy Friendly Apps. The app supports its users in detecting malicious links: QR Codes provide new possibilities for an attacker, as QR Codes can contain malicious links, i.e. links to phishing webpages or webpages from which malware would automatically be downloaded. Therefore it is important to carefully check the link before accessing the corresponding webpage.
This app is optimized regarding the user's privacy. It only uses the device's camera in order to decode QR codes and barcodes.
2- QR & Barcode Scanner
QR & Barcode Scanner is an Android app that allows you to scan all common barcode formats, perform relevant actions, create your own codes, and customize the app according to your preferences. Effortlessly scan and manage codes with this feature-rich app.
- Scan all common barcode formats: QR, Data Matrix, Aztec, UPC, EAN, and more
- Enable flashlight for scanning in the dark
- Use zoom to read barcodes from far distances
- Perform relevant actions such as opening links, connecting to WiFi, viewing geolocations, adding calendar events, and finding product information
- Scan codes from image files or directly using the camera
- Create your own QR codes or barcodes with the built-in generator
- View scanned and created codes in history
- Export codes as CSV or JSON files
- Customize the app with flexible settings
- Supports various QR codes including website links, WiFi hotspot access information, geolocations, contact data, calendar events, phones, email, and SMS
3- QRCode and Barcode Scanner
A cross-platform QR code and barcode scanner application that supports various types of codes, including EAN, ISBN, composite codes, and more. It is compatible with Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS.
SecScanQR is a QR code scanner/generator for Android that prioritizes privacy. It allows you to scan QR codes, share them with friends, or copy them to the clipboard for further use. Additionally, SecScanQR offers QR code generation and minimizes the need for excessive permissions.
- Scan QR-Codes, Barcodes and many more formats
- Scanned QR-Codes can be shared with friends and do a web search with the information from the QR-Code
- Generate QR-Codes, Barcodes and many more formats
5- Barcode Scanner
Barcode Scanner is a free and open source app for Android that allows users to read and generate barcodes. It supports various barcode formats, including QR Code, Data Matrix, PDF 417, AZTEC, EAN 13, EAN 8, UPC A, UPC E, Code 128, Code 93, Code 39, Codabar, and ITF. The app can collect information about food products, cosmetics, books, and music using databases like Open Food Facts, Open Beauty Facts, Open Pet Food Facts, Open Library, and MusicBrainz.
- Scan barcodes using your smartphone's camera or a picture
- Instantly receive information about scanned products
- Read business cards and add new contacts
- Add new events to your agenda
- Open URLs and connect to Wi-Fi
- Scan food product barcodes for composition information
- Search for product information on different websites
- Keep track of scanned barcodes with the history tool
- Generate your own barcodes
- Customize the interface with different colors and themes
- Texts translated in multiple languages
Scan and share QR codes on Android with ease using QR Code Scanners. SecScanQR allows you to generate QR codes and offers these features without requiring excessive permissions.
The app is fully open-source and it is released under the GNU General Public License v3.0.
You can download the app directly from the F-Droid store.
7- Barcode Scanner
Barcode Scanner is an Android app that allows you to scan barcodes on products or containing URLs and contact info. However, the app is in maintenance mode and will not receive updates.
It also provides the ability to read information from barcodes or create QR codes for sharing addresses, contacts, or text between devices. Book, product, and web searches are directed to a Google server, but a custom search button can be created in the settings.
Supported Barcode Types
- UPC-A and UPC-E
- EAN-8 and EAN-13
- Code 39; 93; 128
- RSS-14 (all variants)
- QR Code
- Data Matrix
- Aztec ('beta' quality)
- PDF 417 ('alpha' quality)