Sigil is an outstanding EPUB editor and creator for book authors, publishers, and anyone who writes and self-publish books.
Furthermore, it is a totally, free, open-source solution that works on all popular desktop operating systems.
Sigil is written with C++ programming language, and uses Qt and QtWebEngine. It provides a full support to create, edit, and render books in ePub2, and ePub3 formats.
Sigil is a modular solution, as developers can build their own custom plugins and extends it is functionality
- Free and open source software under GPLv3
- Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Full UTF-16 support
- EPUB 2 and EPUB 3 spec support
- Multiple Views: Code View and Preview View
- Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
- Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Sigil supports dark mode for easy writing
- Comes with reports option
- It includes a built-in validator for EPUB, CSS< and XHTML
- Easy to detect changes
- Metadata editor
- User interface translated into many languages
- Themeable icons
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets
- All imported files can have their formatting mended, and your code can be optionally “prettified”
- Plugin Support
- Checkpoint support (compare “snapshots” of changes)
- A built-in HTML inspector
- Easy to customize your book layout
Download Sigil EPUB Editor
You can download Sigil for free for Windows, macOS, and Linux from its official GitHub repo.
Sigil is an open-source software that is released under the GPL-3.0 License.