An audio file converter is a software application that allows you to convert audio files from one format to another. It is a useful tool for various purposes, such as:
- Compatibility: Different devices and platforms support different audio file formats. An audio file converter enables you to convert files to the format that is compatible with your device or platform.
- Compression: Audio file converters can compress audio files, reducing their size without significant loss in quality. This is especially beneficial when you need to save storage space or transmit files over the internet.
- Editing: Converting audio files to a specific format may be necessary for editing purposes. An audio file converter allows you to convert files to a format that is compatible with your audio editing software, making it easier to manipulate and enhance the audio.
- Playback: If you have audio files in a format that your media player or device does not support, an audio file converter can help you convert them to a playable format, ensuring you can enjoy your audio files without any compatibility issues.
Overall, an audio file converter is a versatile tool that provides flexibility and convenience in managing and using audio files. Whether you need to convert files for compatibility, compression, editing, or playback purposes, an audio file converter is essential for efficiently handling your audio content.
fre:ac is a free audio converter and CD ripper for various formats and encoders. It features MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, and Bonk format support, integrates freedb/CDDB, CDText and ID3v2 tagging and is available in several languages.
- Converts between MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC and Bonk formats
- Integrated audio CD ripper with freedb/CDDB support
- Easy to learn and use, still offering expert options when you need them
- Portable application to install on a USB drive and run everywhere.
- Completely free and open source without any ads or other malware.
FlicFlac is an open-source Tiny Portable Audio Converter (WAV FLAC MP3 OGG APE), for converting WAV, FLAC, MP3, APE, OGG, M4A and AAC files to any of the other formats (except M4A and AAC that are only supported as input format).
FlacSquisher converts a library of Flac files to MP3, Opus, or Ogg Vorbis format, maintaining the directory structure in the original library. That way, you can maintain your Flac files for home listening, and easily convert them to MP3, Opus, or Ogg format for mobile use, where storage space is more often tightly constrained.
- Converts to MP3 or Ogg Vorbis
- Maintains directory structure from original library
- Takes advantage of multicore processors
- Can copy or ignore files by extension (album art, log files)
- Ignores files already encoded previously
- Compatible with Mono on Linux
BAC is a command-line tool that converts, to a target audio file format, all the audio files stored in a directory tree of any depth. Supported file formats are OGG, FLAC, MP3, AAC, ALAC, WAV, in all ways, and WMA as source. Main audio tags are preserved in the process, as well as most file name characters (white spaces, question marks etc).
BAC runs on Linux and probably most UNIX-type OSes. On Windows, it must be operated from the Cygwin environment.
- The program attempts carefully at supporting most characters in file names, especially white spaces.
- This program runs on Linux or Cygwin.
- This program is a shell script designed to be easily adapted to other formats, OSes or preferences.
5- a2mp3 - anything2mp3
acxi is an audio conversion tool that helps sync lossless to lossy formats.
7- Recode Converter
This is an open-source modern & simple audio converter for video files.
ReSampler is a high-performance command-line audio sample rate conversion tool which can convert audio file formats with a variety of different bit-depths and audio channel configurations.
ReSampler is intended to produce outstanding quality sound files, keeping aliasing and other unwanted artifacts to a minimum.
WaveShop is a free, open-source audio editor for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit and 64-bit. WaveShop is fast, lightweight, and bit-perfect, meaning samples aren't altered unless they need to be. Editing a portion of an audio file only affects that portion; the rest of the file is untouched.
Blocks of audio can be cut and pasted without changing their contents at all. This is especially useful for patching a finished master without corrupting its dither. Waveshop's features include peak, RMS and spectral analysis, normalizing, fading, sample rate conversion, audio generation, plug-ins, and more, all with unlimited undo and comprehensive help.
PyScribe is a command-line tool to transcribe audio files. It uses
ffmpeg for audio conversion and
pywhisper for transcription.
This is a Python program for converting MP4 video files to MP3 audio files. It uses the tkinter and moviepy libraries and has a simple GUI interface.
12- Automated Batch Converter
Collective Repo with a variety of automated Command Prompt batch-scripts for various or normal use and needs.
13- BatchEncoder (Audio Conversion GUI)
BatchEncoder is an audio files conversion software. It supports most popular audio file formats including lossy and lossless compression. The program is very simple to use.
BatchEncoder is basically GUI front-end for command-line tools. All it does is create background processes and pass arguments to it with options set in presets/format menu and additionally adds input and output file paths. For specific options for each format use help available for command-line tools.
- Front-end for command-line tools.
- Supports popular audio formats.
- File transcoding between audio formats.
- Multi-threaded conversion.
- Full UNICODE support.
- Multi-language user interface.
- Out of the box configuration for new users.
- Advanced options for experienced users.
- Open-source, fast and simple.
- you need ffmpeg to run this program
- can convert .flac, .m4a, .wav, .wma, .caf, and .aif audio file formats to .mp3 including metadata
- uses Tkinter to create gui
14- FFmpeg and Yt-Dlp Batch
The script that lets you convert and perform operations with photos, videos, audio via FFmpeg in a few clicks on the keyboard.
- for content creators, such as extracting multiple audio tracks from a video.
- For professionals in FFmpeg, for example, a manual configuration tool.
- For people who are looking for an easy way to convert video, audio, and even photos.
- And also a tool for downloading videos from hundreds of different resources, with different functions, up to downloading previews and subtitles.
And much more. This tool is designed to let people to save time on some tasks.
15- AAX Audio Converter
This simple Windows program allows you to convert Audible aax files to mp3 and m4a/m4b.
- Converts Audible proprietary .aax files to plain .mp3 or .m4a/.m4b.
- Also offers basic support for older .aa files.
- Windows application, with all the classic features of the Windows eco-system.
- Creates additional playlist if more than one output file is created per book.
- Handles books with multiple parts.
- Manages and preserves all meta-tag information, including chapter metadata.
- Supports named chapters, for .aax files downloaded with Book Lib Connect.
- Can adjust inaccurate chapter marks.
- Allows customization of output naming: files, folders and tags.
- Delegates all audio processing to powerful FFmpeg, including DRM handling.
- High performance: Utilizes all available processor cores to run conversion work in parallel.
- Optionally copies original .aax file to a new location after the conversion, with a customizable name.
- Automatically launches default media player after conversion has completed.
- Log facility, optional, to record program activity, activated with program argument.
- Online update function: Will automatically scan the website for a new version, download and install it.
This free utility allows you to Convert YouTube videos to MP3.
SoX is the Swiss Army Knife of sound processing utilities. It can convert audio files to other popular audio file types and also apply sound effects and filters during the conversion.
LameXP is a free multi-format audio file converter that supports a variety of output formats, including MP3, AAC/MP4, Ogg Vorbis, Opus, as well as FLAC, and an even higher number of input formats.
It also supports batch processing and can utilize multiple processor cores.
- Supported encoders: LAME, OggEnc2, FLAC, Opus, Aften, Nero AAC
- Supported input types: AAC, AC3, AIFF, APE, AU, DTS, FLAC, M4A/MP4, MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG/OGM, SND, TTA, WAV, WMA, WV and more
- Support for multithreaded batch processing
- Support for Unicode file names and Unicode meta tags
19- M4A to MP3 converter
This is a fairly simple bash script that runs through every .m4a file in the current directory, converts them to .mp3, then deletes the originals. Depends on faad and lame. Future updates will traverse subdirectories recursively to convert entire libraries.
FFaudioConverter is a graphical audio converter application. It can convert files or whole folders containing music and video files to other audio formats.
- DnD support
- Multithreading (use the full power of your cpu)
- Convert many files or whole directories very fast
- Audio filters possible (bass boost your music or do fade-ins/outs…)
- Change of samplerate possible
- High quality resampling with SoX possible
- Quick mode for copying files in same format and skip already converted files
Supported audio formats
SoundConverter is the leading audio file converter for the GNOME Desktop.
SoundConverter is a simple to use, and very fast audio converter. It can convert multiples files at same the time to speed up the conversion. It can also extract the audio from videos.