Notes is an open source and cross-platform note-taking app that is both beautiful and powerful.
- Native app (written in C++ with Qt).
- Fast with a low memory footprint.
- Fully open source and cross-platform (Linux, macOS, Windows).
- Completely private - tracks nothing.
- Beautiful and sleek looking, yet still powerful.
- Folders and tags. Organize your ideas hierarchically using nested folders and universally using tags.
- Markdown Support. Format text without lifting your hands from the keyboard.
- Different themes. Switch between Light, Dark, and Sepia.
- Feed View. Select multiple notes to see them all one after another in the editor.
- Always runs in the background. Use the hotkey Win+Shift+N to summon Notes. Ctrl+N for macOS.
- Keyboard shortcuts. Meant to have the option to be used solely with a keyboard (but more work needs to be done there).
These are the default keyboard shortcuts provided by Notes.
Right now they can't be easily customized, but that's on the roadmap! :)
On supported systems, these shortcuts can be activated even if Notes' window is not active at the moment.
|Win + Shift + N (Windows)||Toggle Notes' window visibility|
|Ctrl + N (macOS)||Toggle Notes' window visibility|
|Meta + Shift + N (Linux)||Toggle Notes' window visibility|
These shortcuts are meant to be used while the Notes window is currently focused.
|Ctrl + N||Create a new note|
|Ctrl + D||Delete selected note|
|Ctrl + F||Focus on the search bar|
|Ctrl + E||Clear the search bar|
|Ctrl + ↓ (or just ↓)||Select note below|
|Ctrl + ↑ (or just ↑)||Select note above|
|Ctrl + Enter||Focus on the text editor|
|Ctrl + Shift + F||Toggle full screen mode|
|F11||Toggle full screen mode|
|Esc||Exit full screen mode|
|Ctrl + Shift + L||Maximize Notes|
|Ctrl + Shift + M||Minimize Notes|
|Ctrl + Shift + S||Toggle Editor Settings' window visibility|
|Ctrl + Q||Quit Notes|
|Ctrl + K (macOS, Windows)||Toggle 'stay on top'|
|Ctrl + Shift + S||Open Editor Settings|
|Ctrl + J||Toggle 'notes' panel visibility|
|Ctrl + Shift + J||Toggle 'folders' panel visibility|
|Ctrl + A||Select all listed notes|
|Ctrl + `||Wrap current word or selection into ` `
|Ctrl + B||Wrap current word or selection into ** ** (bold)|
|Ctrl + I||Wrap current word or selection into * * (italic)|
|Ctrl + S||Wrap current word or selection into ~ ~
|Alt + Up||Move current block up|
|Alt + Down||Move current block down|
|Ctrl + Shift + -||Decrease heading size|
|Ctrl + Shift + =||Increase heading size|
|Ctrl + (1 through 6)||Set a specific heading size|
|Ctrl + \||Remove formatting from current word or selection|
|F10||Toggle visibility of the dots menu|
Mozilla Public License 2.0
macOS Windows and Linux