Top 14 FREE and Open Source Project Management Systems
Project Management Software is an essential requirement nowadays to keep track of all demands of projects as time tracking, tasks assignment, bug tracking, reports generation and collaboration between teams. The following is a list of the top 14 free and open-source Project Management Systems.
Before we go we would like to list our top pick here which is "Leantime":
Leantime is an amazing project management solution that based on Lean principles agile concept. We have reviewed it here and We highly recommend it. It's an effective tool that support multiple projects boards and utilize Kanban for more effective use.
Here you can read all about it's features and why we do recommend it.
ProjeQtOr is a free open source project management software grouping in a single tool all the features needed to organize your projects. It is simple, easy to use while covering a maximum of project management features. ProjeQtOr is designed as a collaborative tool, available in Web mode, and so requires the setup of a Web server. However, the installation is easy and automated as much as possible. To setup and run ProjeQtOr, a simple PHP / MySql stack is needed, you can use your favorite stack (EasyPHP, ZEND, WAMP, XAMPP).
- Multilingual (14 languages)
- 100% collaborative (web based).
- Web 2.0 user interface.
ZenTao is an open source project management software, developed by Qingdao Nature Easy Soft Network Technology Co. Ltd. Its main features are product management, project management, QA management, document management, bug management and todo management. It is a professional Application Lifecycel Mangement(ALM) , covering the core process of software development. It also has powerful search features, various forms of statistical reports and complete API. ZenTao also has a Professional and Enterprise versions with additional features.
- Application Lifecycle Management.
- Product Management.
- Story Management.
- Project/Sprint management.
- Task Management.
- QA management.
- Bug management.
- Case Management.
- Planning management.
- Release Management.
- Statistical View.
- Whatsapp/Skype Group chat.
- Open source and unlimited to commercial use.
- Robust extensions and various plug-ins.
Tuleap is a free and Open Source Suite to improve management of software projects and connect with team members. It provides tools for managing projects, tasks, changes, defects, documents as well as version control, continuous integration and social collaboration. It has also a Professional and Cloud versions with more features.
- 100% Open Source.
- Monthly updates.
- Project management.
- Issue Tracking.
- Git, SVN and Jenkins support.
- Gamified Test Management.
- Document Management.
- Real-time collaboration.
Taiga is a free open-source project management platform for agile developers. It is simple and customizable. It has premium and enterprise versions with added features. It is programmed with Python, Django and AngularJS.
- Simple and customizable.
- Import from Trello, Jira, Asana and GitHub.
- Taiga REST API.
- Taiga mobile app.
- Social management.
TaskJuggler is a Free and Open-Source Software project management tool. It covers the complete spectrum of project management tasks from the first idea to the completion of the project. It assists you during project scoping, resource assignment, cost and revenue planning, risk and communication management. It provides an optimizing scheduler that computes your project time lines and resource assignments based on the project outline and the constraints that you have provided.
The built-in resource balancer and consistency checker offload you from having to worry about irrelevant details and ring the alarm if the project gets out of hand. The flexible as-many-details-as-necessary approach allows you to plan your project as you go, making it also ideal for new management strategies such as Extreme Programming and Agile Project Management.
TaskJuggler is written in Ruby Programming Language.
- Powerful To-do list managment.
- Full integration with Vim text editor.
- Automatic resource leveling and tasks conflict resolution.
- Unlimited number of scenarios (baselines) of the same project for what-if analysis.
- Multiple time zone support.
- Support for profit/loss analysis.
- Comprehensive and flexible reports.
- Project tracking and status reporting with dashboard support.
- Projects can be combined into larger projects.
- Powerful project description language with macro support.
- Scales well on multi-core or multi-CPU systems.
- Support for project management teams and revision control systems.
- Data export to Microsoft Project and Computer Associates Clarity.
- CSV data export.
- iCalendar export.
- Server-based time sheet system for status and actual work reporting.
- Runs on all Linux, Unix, Windows, MacOS and several other operating systems.
web2Project is a Free Open Source business-oriented Project Management System (PMS). It is based on an AMP-stack which means it is designed to run on Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- Role-based permission system to give the Project Manager fine-grained control over sensitive data.
- Project and Group-wide Gantt Charts.
- A unified calendar with iCalendar support.
- A modular infrastructure which allows the addition or removal of modules to customize the features according to your requirements.
- Available in 39 languages.
- Unlimited projects, milestones, tasklists and tasks.
- Unlimited members with user profiles.
- Role-based permission management.
- Timetracker reports, activity logs and messages in PDF format.
- RSS feeds for messages and tasks.
Kanboard is a free and open source Kanban project management software. It is written in PHP and updated frequently.
- Visual and clear overview of your tasks.
- Tasks, subtasks, attachments and comments.
- Automatic actions.
- Translated in 30+ languages.
- Multiple Authentication Backends.
OpenProject is a web-based project management software with a lot of features and frequent updates.
- Gantt charts / Timeline management.
- Project planning and scheduling.
- Kanban, Agile and Scrum.
- Product roadmap and release planning.
- Meetings management.
- Time tracking.
- Task management and team collaboration.
- Cost reporting.
- Bug tracking.
- User groups & permissions.
- Repositories (SVN, GIT).
- LDAP authentication.
dotProject is a volunteer supported Project Management application. There is no "company" behind this project, it is managed, maintained, developed and supported by a volunteer group and by the users themselves. It is written in PHP.
- User/Module permissions.
- Multi-language support.
ProjectLibre is a project management software. It has been downloaded over 4,000,000 times in 200 countries and won InfoWorld "Best of Open Source" award. ProjectLibre is compatible with Microsoft Project 2003, 2007 and 2010 files. You can simply open them on Linux, Mac OS or Windows.
- Compatibility with Microsoft Project 2010.
- Earned Value Costing.
- Gantt Chart.
- WBS/RBS Charts.
- Resource Histograms.
- Network Diagram.
Redmine is a flexible project management web application. Written using Ruby on Rails framework, it is cross-platform and cross-database.
- Multilanguage support.
- Multiple databases support.
- Multiple projects support.
- Flexible role based access control.
- Flexible issue tracking system.
- Gantt Chart and Calendar.
- Time tracking.
- SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial and Bazaar).
- Multiple LDAP authentication support.
OrangeScrum is a Project Management Tool which has a free open source Community Edition and another paid Enterprise Edition with additional functionality. It supports Linux, Mac and Windows. It also has a mobile app for Android and iOS phones.
- Free Opensource Community Edition.
- Unlimited Users.
- Unlimited Projects.
- Unlimited Tasks & Milestones.
- Email Notification.
- Daily Update Reminder (Daily Catch-up).
- Kanban View.
- Calendar View.
- Import/Export Task.
- Export Time Log.
- Weekly Usage Report.
All these choices are good alternatives to paid Project Management Software and you can modify them or add more functionality as you see fit for your organization due to their open-source nature.