Open-source, free Twitter desktop applications and clients, such as TwitVault, Tweet app, AndStatus, and Twinimal, offer several advantages and benefits. They provide a wide range of features that enhance the Twitter experience, including character count, emoji picker, media upload, draft saving, polling, and thread creation.
They also support multiple accounts and allow users to customize their user experience. Additionally, these platforms prioritize user privacy and security, with many not storing user data in a database. Some of these clients even allow offline reading and posting, making them more user-friendly and accessible. Moreover, being open-source, they offer transparency and the opportunity for users to contribute to their development.
In this list, you will find the best free and open-source Twitter/ X clients.
Frosty is a free and open-source mobile Twitch client for iOS and Android. It supports 7TV, BetterTTV (BTTV), and FrankerFaceZ (FFZ). It's built with Flutter.
- Support for 7TV, BetterTTV, and FrankerFaceZ emotes and badges
- Browse followed streams, top streams, and top categories
- Autocomplete for emotes and user mentions
- Light, dark, and black (OLED) themes
- Search for channels and categories
- See and filter chatters in a channel
- Local chat user message history
- Theater and fullscreen mode
- Watch live streams with chat
- Picture-in-picture mode
- Block and report users
- Emote menu
- Sleep timer
Harpy is a free and open-source Twitter app built with Flutter 🦅. However, Harpy is no longer in active development due to Twitter's decision to disallow third-party Twitter clients.
Nocturn is an open-source multi-platform Twitter Client built with React, Redux and Electron.
Lucerne (named after the Swiss city) is a Twitter reader designed to amplify my personal Twitter workflows. Lucerne is built on my usual homebrew stack, with Ink on the backend and Torus on the browser.
5- twitlatte (Android)
Twitter and Mastodon client for Android.
Lyrebird is a free, open-source, and multi-platform twitter client for the desktop!
Twinimal is a minimalistic Twitter client that allows users to customize their experience. It requires no sign-up, is secure and privacy-focused, and is constantly evolving based on user feedback. Notably, it does not store any user data in a database. Key features include the ability to post and delete tweets, view previous tweets, and manage bookmarks, a feature not available on the actual Twitter app or website.
twterm is a free and open-source terminal full-featured TUI Twitter client.
AndStatus is an open-source client for multiple social networks, including Mastodon, Twitter, ActivityPub, GNU social, and Pump.io. It allows users to combine feeds into one timeline and supports offline reading and posting.
Other features include multiple accounts, a tree-like conversation view, global search, and background syncing. Data can be stored for years or days, and users can backup and restore accounts and messages. It is free, ad-free, and community-supported.
10- Tweet App
Tweet app is a Twitter client designed solely for tweeting without showing a tweet timeline. It offers features such as accurate character count, emoji picker, media upload, draft saving, polling, and thread creation. The app supports multiple accounts and can be accessed via command line. It is customizable and compatible with macOS, Linux, and Windows.
TwitVault is a cross-platform desktop app that uses the Twitter API to download and sync your profile data, including tweets, responses, mentions, follows, and followers. It can also import data from official Twitter archives, allowing users to browse and search their offline Twitter data.
- Import Tweets from an existing Twitter archive (see below)
- For any Tweet, also optionally archive the author and the authors profile media
- Archive your tweets.
- Optionally including response to your tweets
- Archive your mentions.
- Follows and Followers
- Optionally including user profiles
- Optionally including profile images
- Your lists (the ones you created) including user profiles / media
- Archive your Liked Tweets
- Search within your downloaded data see screenshot
- See your Tweets reverse chronological beginning with your first Tweets.
- Sync, to download newer Tweets, mentions or responses
- Delete Tweets on Twitter
- Archive a different users profile / tweets
- Runs on macOS, Linux and Windows. Can also run in the terminal.