BackupAFS is an application designed to back up OpenAFS cells to a remote backup server's disk. It offers various features such as compression, full and multi-level incremental dumps, exponential expiry, and configuration through a user-friendly web interface.
Some of the advantages of BackupAFS include:
- Efficient compression for reduced storage requirements
- Flexibility to perform full or incremental backups based on specific needs
- Exponential expiry for managing backup retention
- Easy configuration and management through a web-based interface
- Optional compression provides additional reductions in storage
(around 35-40%, depending on your data).
- A powerful http/cgi user interface allows administrators to view the
current status, edit configuration, add/delete volumesets, view log
files, and allows users to initiate and cancel backups and browse
and restore volumes from backups.
- No additional software is needed. BackupAFS uses the OpenAFS 'vos'
binary and stores its files in standard 'vos dump' format.
- Flexible restore options. Volume dump files can be downloaded from
any backup directly from the CGI interface. Volumes may also be
restored directly into AFS, overwriting any existing volume of the
same name or with an optional extension (.restore for instance) to
prevent namespace collisions.
- Flexible configuration parameters allow a configurable number of
multiple backups to be performed in parallel, specification of which
volumes to backup, various schedules for full and incremental
backups, schedules for email notifications to users and admins and
so on. Configuration parameters can be set system-wide or also on a
- Admins (and optionally users) may be sent periodic email reminders
if their volumeset has not recently been backed up. Email content,
timing and policies are configurable.
- BackupAFS is Open Source software hosted by SourceForge.
- BSD/ UNIX
- GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2),
- GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)