While we depend on technology so much, we also count on our internet connection, but what if we are doing certain outdoor activity in remote areas with bad or worse no connection.
The idea solution for navigation is to use offline maps applications, that provide a browsable high resolution maps already downloaded at your phone.
Google Maps app offer a downloadable maps for location you select which you can use without the need of any online connection.
However, some may argue about privacy of using Google Maps, so here is the right free alternative that really does not contain tracking or third-party scripts, It is Organic Maps.
In contrast, Organic Maps is a free Android & iOS offline maps app for travelers, tourists, hikers, and cyclists. It uses crowdsourced OpenStreetMap data and is developed with love by MapsWithMe (MapsMe) founders and our community.
- High resolution maps
- Detailed offline maps with places that don't exist on other maps, thanks to OpenStreetMap
- Comes with an astronomical clock
- Easily set your training or trip tracks
- Cycling routes, hiking trails, and walking paths
- Contour lines, elevation profiles, peaks, and slopes
- Turn-by-turn walking, cycling, and car navigation with voice guidance
- Fast offline search on the map
- Bookmarks export and import in KML/KMZ formats (GPX is planned)
- Dark Mode to protect your eyes
- Countries and regions don't take a lot of space
- Access location in the foreground
- Automatically downloads map updates
- Access precise approximate location
- Allows user to use biometric hardware
- Automatically recognize physical activity
- Pair with Bluetooth devices
- Automatically run at startup
- Free and open-source
Organic Maps cares about your Privacy
The project developers were keen to create a project without any invasion of your privacy like other map apps.
Organic maps application comes with:
- No ads
- No tracking
- No data collection
- No phoning home
- No annoying registration
- No mandatory tutorials
- No noisy email spam
- No push notifications
- No crapware
Organic maps app is released under the Apache-2.0 License. It is written primary in the C++ language