Phoenix CTMS: An Open-source Clinical Trial Management System
Managing clinical trials is not that just a CRUD operation. It's a process which involve patients, patient records, clinical trials records and maintain the patient privacy as well as keeping the data secure.
Phoenix CTMS is one of a kind open-source project, It's built to help researchers and teams for patient recruitment, manage clinical trials and clinical data. In-short, it's three systems in one:
- PRS (Patient Recruitment System)
- CTMS (Clinical Trial Management System)
- CDMS (Clinical Data Management System)
The project is developed by a team from Medical University of Graz, to manage their clinical trials data. They were generous enough to release it as an open-source project under LGPL2.1.
Phoenix CTMS is a self-hosted cross-platform web application which run seamlessly on Windows and Linux server as well as local machines. It's built using Java technologies (JEE – Java Enterprise Edition technology stack) and uses PostgreSQL as a database backend.
- Simple responsive user-interface (UI)
- Tabbed user-interface
- Staff duties
- Inventory manager
- Subject repository
- Form wizard
- Persons and organizations support
- Courses and training manager
- User management
- Email and contact manager
- Search history
- Advanced search queries support
- Graphs and diagrams
- ACL system
- Data encryption
- eCRFs (electronic case report forms) support.
- Multiple trials support
- ICH GCP Compliance
- Demo and sample data support
- Runs seamlessly from VirtualBox
- Can be installed on AWS, IBM Cloud, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean
- English and German languages support
- Support Google Chrome, Chromium, Opera and Mozilla Firefox
- Complies with EU-GDPR
- Docker support
Install Phoenix CTMS
To install the system there are few requirements:
- Java (Java8 JDK)
- PostgreSQL database
- 2 vCPUs, 4-8 GB RAM and 10-20 GB disk should be fine for a test environment
The docs contain instructions to install Phoenix CTMS on Debian Stretch which will work the same on Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get -y install wget ca-certificates wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/phoenixctms/install-debian/master/install.sh -O ~/install.sh chmod 755 ~/install.sh sudo ~/install.sh
The developers also include certain instructions on how to install it on Windows with Eclipse IDE. However, We recommend using it with a virtual machine with Debian instead of Windows.
- Install: https://www.phoenixctms.org/installation/
- Install on Windows and Debian: https://github.com/phoenixctms/ctsms
- Medical University of Graz: https://www.medunigraz.at/