ranger is a console file manager with VI key bindings. It provides a
minimalistic and nice curses interface with a view on the directory hierarchy.
It ships with
rifle, a file launcher that is good at automatically finding
out which program to use for what file type.
mc aficionados there's also the multi-pane viewmode.
This file describes ranger and how to get it to run. For instructions on the
usage, please read the man page (
man ranger in a terminal). See
for development-specific information.
For configuration, check the files in
ranger/config/ or copy the
default config to
examples/ directory contains several scripts and plugins that demonstrate how
ranger can be extended or combined with other programs. These files can be
found in the git repository or in
A note to packagers: Versions meant for packaging are listed in the changelog
on the website.
- Authors: see
- License: GNU General Public License Version 3
- Website: https://ranger.github.io/
- Download: https://ranger.github.io/ranger-stable.tar.gz
- Bug reports: https://github.com/ranger/ranger/issues
- git clone https://github.com/ranger/ranger.git
- An easily maintainable file manager in a high level language
- A quick way to switch directories and browse the file system
- Keep it small but useful, do one thing and do it well
- Console-based, with smooth integration into the unix shell
- UTF-8 Support (if your Python copy supports it)
- Multi-column display
- Preview of the selected file/directory
- Common file operations (create/chmod/copy/delete/...)
- Renaming multiple files at once
- VIM-like console and hotkeys
- Automatically determine file types and run them with correct programs
- Change the directory of your shell after exiting ranger
- Tabs, bookmarks, mouse support...
- Python (
>=3.1) with the
and (optionally) wide-unicode support
- A pager (
For general usage:
filefor determining file types
chardet(Python package) for improved encoding detection of text files
sudoto use the "run as root" feature
python-bidi(Python package) to display right-to-left file names correctly
For enhanced file previews (with
caca-utils) for ASCII-art image previews
urxvtfor image previews
imagemagick) to auto-rotate images and for image previews
for SVG previews
ffmpegthumbnailerfor video thumbnails
pygmentizefor syntax highlighting of code
7zto preview archives
sed) to preview
archives as their first image
elinksto preview html pages
fmt) for textual
preview as image
djvutxtfor textual DjVu previews,
ddjvuto preview as image
epub-thumbnailerfor image previews of ebooks
transmission-showfor viewing BitTorrent information
exiftoolfor viewing information about media files
odt2txtfor OpenDocument text files (
jqfor JSON files
sqlite3for listing tables in SQLite database (and optionally
sqlite-utilsfor fancier box drawing.)
jupyter nbconvertfor Jupyter Notebooks
fontimagefor font previews
openscadfor 3D model previews (
draw.iofor draw.io diagram previews
Use the package manager of your operating system to install ranger.
You can also install ranger through PyPI:
pip install ranger-fm.
However, it is recommended to use
(to benefit from isolated environments). Use
pipx run --spec ranger-fm ranger to install and run ranger in one step.
Installing from a clone
Note that you don't have to install ranger; you can simply run
To install ranger manually:
sudo make install
This translates roughly to:
sudo python setup.py install --optimize=1 --record=install_log.txt
This also saves a list of all installed files to
install_log.txt, which you can
use to uninstall ranger.
After starting ranger, you can use the Arrow Keys or
Enter to open a file or
q to quit. The third column shows a
preview of the current file. The second is the main column and the first shows
the parent directory.
Ranger can automatically copy default configuration files to
if you run it with the switch
--copy-config=( rc | scope | ... | all ).
ranger --help for a description of that switch. Also check
ranger/config/ for the default configuration.
- To get the most out of ranger, read the Official User Guide.
- For frequently asked questions, see the FAQ.
- For more information on customization, see the wiki.
For help, support, or if you just want to hang out with us, you can find us here:
- IRC: channel #ranger on Libera.Chat. Don't have an IRC client? Join us via the webchat!
- Reddit: r/ranger
- GPL-3.0 license