Note: This article is an Evergreen article. It will receive continues update about the listed applications. You can save it and return to it as a updated resource.
DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) is the international standard to transmit, store, retrieve, print, process, and display medical imaging information. The Following is a list of the best free DICOM viewers for doctors.
We have covered several categories for DICOM viewers, here what we covered so far:
- Free & Open source DICOM viewers for Windows
- Free Online Web-based DICOM Viewers & Free DICOM cloud services
- Free & Open source DICOM viewers for Mac OS X
- Open source Browser & Web-based DICOM Viewers Projects
- Best Free & Open source PACS Clients & DICOM Workstations for Windows, Mac OSX, & Linux
- Cross-platform Open source DICOM viewers for Windows, Linux, & Mac OSX
In this article we have covered the best free and open source DICOM viewers for many platforms. This list is always updated with emerging and new software regularly, so stay tuned.
Free & Open source enterprise-grade DICOM viewers
1- Navegatium DICOM Viewer
Incredibly easy to use, Navegatium has an absolutely intuitive touchscreen interface, works perfectly on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 tablets, laptops and PCs and can be installed directly from Windows Store. It makes out list of Best Free & Open source PACS Clients & DICOM Workstations, because of its outstanding features.
It is capable of 2D, 3D and X-Ray reconstructions with DICOM images.
2- Sante DICOM Viewer Free version
Sante DICOM Viewer Free can be used as a stand-alone desktop application, but also it is suitable for DICOM CD/DVD distribution. It runs from CD/DVD without installation, it does not have any additional software requirements like .NET or Java run-time libraries, and opens automatically the DICOMDIR file in the root of the CD/DVD.
Sante DICOM Viewer Free supports all the modalities (CT, MR, US, CR, NM, XA, MG, DX etc.), all the manufacturers, and all the DICOM file types (DICOM 3.0/NEMA 2).
3- MicroDicom: Free DICOM Viewer for Windows
MicroDicom is an application for primary processing and preservation of medical images in DICOM format.
It is equipped with the most common tools for manipulation of DICOM images, and it has an intuitive user interface. It is free for non-commercial use.
MicroDicom has been features in our list: Best Free & Open source PACS Clients & DICOM Workstations
- Platform: Windows
- MicroDICOM website
- MicroDicom - free DICOM viewer software for Windows hits 1 million downloads.
4- Horos DICOM Project: Open source DICOM viewer for Mac OSX
Horos is a free, open-source medical image viewer. The goal of the Horos Project is to develop a fully functional, 64-bit medical image viewer for OS X. Horos is based upon OsiriX and other open-source medical imaging libraries. Horos is made available under the GNU Lesser General Public License, Version 3 (LGPL-3.0).
Horos has been featured several times in our list reviews:
- Open source DICOM Viewers
- Open source Free DICOM Viewers for Mac OSX
- Best Free & Open source PACS Clients & DICOM Workstations
5- JiveX DICOM Viewer
This free DICOM Viewer offers not only to review radiology images but also other types of medical data such as ECGs or information in pdf files – as long as the data is available in DICOM format. Thus the DICOM Viewer provides all users with access to important information far beyond radiology.
Data can be loaded onto the Viewer from an internal folder or from external media such as CD, DVD or stick. Unlike the licensed Review Client the free DICOM Viewer cannot be linked to the PACS. Technical service is not included.
It is available for non-commercial use (research or educational purposes).
6- AMIDE: Open source Multi-platform DICOM workstation for Linux, Windows and Mac OSX
AMIDE is a completely free and open source tool for viewing, analyzing, and registering volumetric medical imaging data sets.
- Platform: Linux, Mac OSX, Windows
- AMIDE DICOM viewer website
3DimViewer is a lightweight free and opensource 3D viewer of medical DICOM datasets that is distributed as open source software.
- Platform: Linux, Mac OSX , Windows
- 3DimViewer Link
postDICOM is a secure environment for patients, doctors, clinics and hospitals. Using postDICOM, users can Post medical DICOM images (computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound, digital radiography etc.) and clinical documents (scanned documents, reports, patient’s history etc.) to cloud. Later, users can view and share these documents with doctors and medical groups. Uploaded DICOM files are streamed using sophisticated HTML5 zero footprint lossless DICOM viewer.
- Platform: Cloud-based
9- SMILI DICOM viewer
The Simple Medical Imaging Library Interface (SMILI), is an open-source, light-weight and easy-to-use medical imaging viewer and library for all major operating systems. The main sMILX application features for viewing n-D images, vector images, DICOMs, anonymizing, shape analysis and models/surfaces with easy drag and drop functions. It also features a number of standard processing algorithms for smoothing, thresholding, masking etc. images and models, both with graphical user interfaces and/or via the command-line. SMILI is in active development by his developers.
Mango – short for Multi-image Analysis GUI – is a viewer for medical research images. It provides analysis tools and a user interface to navigate image volumes.
Mango is available for use, as is, free of charge, for educational and scientific, non-commercial purposes. Mongo also made it in our featured list as one of the : Best Free & Open source PACS Clients & DICOM Workstations for Windows, Mac OSX, & Linux.
11 - Aeskulap
Aeskulap is a very famous DICOM mmanager/ and viewer on Ubuntu/ Debian linux.
Platform : Linux
12 - NextCloud : Cloud based DICOM Viewer
NextCloud is a free opensource self-hosted cloud file sharing solution, It provides security, solid user management and set of desktop and mobile clients which support synchronisation. NextCloud AppStore has DICOM viewer which is full featured DICOM viewer ready to work for teams and hospitals.
- Server : Linux, Clients : Mac OSX, Windows, Linux. Mobile Apps Android and iPhone, web browsers desktop and mobile.
13 - Athena DICOM Viewer
Athena is a lightweight DICOM software, designed to display DICOM images on Windows machines. It's available in the Windows app store and offers an in-app purchase for additional options an features. Athena has a very simple custom design built for touch screens including Windows Tablets and wide resolution touch screens. Athena Lite edition comes with one month free for Athena pro editions which can be extended later with purchase. Athena was built by native windows technology so it's expected to be memory wise with smooth performance.
14 - ClearCanvas DICOM server and DICOM Viewer
ClearCanvas is an open source medical imaging project featuring DICOM server and features-rich DICOM viewer for Windows with DICOM viewer.
MatrixUser is a lightweight GUI-based program for multi-dimensional data processing and analysis for medical imaging.
- Highly Interactive Graphical User Interface
- Multi-dimensional Matrix Display and Analysis in Matlab
- Multiple Data Type Conversion for DICOM, DICOM (Batch), NIFTI, MAT and Binary
- Nice DICOM Viewer and Convertor
- ROI Analysis, Segmentation, 3D Slicer and More Functions
16- Miele-LXIV: Open source DICOM Workstation for MacOSX
Miele-LXIV is an open source DICOM workstation and viewer for Mac OSX, It's completely native solution built by apple technologies, It supports 10.9 macOSX version and later, which means it'll work on old Mac OSX machines.
Miele-LXIV has many features that we have covered in this review.
- Open source DICOM MR Spectroscopy Framework for Researchers, and Radiologists
SIVIC is a customised DICOM MR Spectroscopy framework for researchers and radiologists, created by Nelson Lab.
- Medical Imaging Framework/ Simulation
Gimias: is an open source framework for building medical Imaging & medical simulation applications for Windows and Linux
19- Yakami DICOM tools
- Easy to install, & use
- Works smoothly on old and new machines/ systems
- Suitable for novice users, & advanced users
- Supported languages: English, Japanese
20- Navegatium: (Windows)
Navegatium is a Free 2D/3D DICOM Viewer with 3D Printing support for Windows. It's full-featured DICOM viewer and PACS workstation for Windows, it supports Windows 7 and later.
Navegatium comes with full touch support for Windows-tablets, We have written a full review about it in here.
- DICOM / PACS Client
- 3D Printing on demand
- 3D Volume rendering
- Reports generation
- Navegatium Knowledge Base: Huge library of DICOM images
JimboDICOMViewer is a free 2D/ 3D DICOM viewer to display and manage DICOM datasets and databases. It has unique features, but it's available only for Linux and macOS.
Hospital Information Systems (HIS)/ EMR with DICOM viewer
Some Hospital Information systems are built with DICOM viewer to ensure the usability for DICOM files. Here is a list of free open-source hospital information systems some comes with complete DICOM and PACS integration.
- 10+ Open source DICOM viewers and workstations ( Windows, Linux and Mac OSX )
- 20 Free & open source DICOM viewers for Windows
- 10+ Free Open source DICOM viewers for Mac OSX
- Horos Free/ Open source DICOM Viewer for Mac OSX for Radiologists.
- 10 Free iPhone and iPad DICOM & Radiology Applications for Doctors/ Radiologists
- 10 Open source DICOM/ PACS Servers
- Top 10 Open-source & free HIS( Hospital Information systems) and EHR solutions
- Best 7 Free/ open source personal finance & accounting Manager apps for Windows, Mac OSX & Linux
- Best 20+ open source free accounting solutions for Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, and the cloud
- Sync.com - Like Dropbox, but secure, and 100% private.